There’s still something missing for the song to sound as I would have liked, but after trying and trying I still couldn’t find that thing.
Songs made with: Prologue
Started a bit like a hip hop kinda song but then turned into the more usual mysterious electronic sound of me.
Instead of using automation to have different volumes in different parts, this time I simply created duplicates of the same track and set the volume on each.
This week there was Dynamic Range Day. I continue recording my songs with no compression or maximizer or anything like that on the master out channels. Hence the low volume of the songs, but instead they have a good dynamic range. This song has DR: 11.
A bit mysterious but funny kinda song. I think I will start using Prologue more often again. It helps come up with some interesting things.
Clean and simple, tried to make it sound better instead of adding more to it and making it feel over produced. With the fx from minimoog-v in the background I thought was enough so as to not take attention away from the main melody.
This week I’m back at using only the Steinberg soft synths. Not that I choose to, I just couldn’t find any sounds that I felt like using from Native Instruments. It was a pretty quick and simple song.
I decided to take a break from guitar this week. I used my favorite technique to do with Cubase for this song, which is using Arpache 5 and Chorder on the MIDI insert to create a completely different sounding preset. I only did it for the main track though. I was going to use Arpache 5 at some point for the bass also but it didn’t quite fit the song anymore after I added more things. And on the drums I used MIDI modifiers on the MIDI insert. It’s randomly (I think) taking one note lower and one higher of the drum kit.
This is my longest song so far I think. I try to keep them under a minute and a half but this time I had many parts that I wanted to use and some that I wanted to repeat. It’s mostly guitar based and just a little pad at the end. Of course also bass (synth) and there are two drum tracks to use two different presets from Groove Agent ONE. The main sound of the song comes from the ModMachine delay plug in on the two main guitar tracks.
This song could use some better mixing and mastering. Like all the other songs really :p
I often use one little part of a recorded guitar and loop it since I make a lot of mistakes when I play and I have to do a lot of takes before I get it right. But for this one I recorded the guitar parts in one take only. And then I cut off a few parts though to make the song shorter.
This was supposed to be week 9 but I had an (unplanned) visit from a (beautiful) stranger which took much of my attention for the last many (awesome) days, so I just now finished this song :)
Also part of the reason why I didn’t finish it sooner is because it was a particularly difficult song in the sense that for the first time I used the signature and tempo tracks. The two different parts of the song have different tempos and different time signatures. I was trying to find a way to make the parts blend a bit better with each other but not sure if it went too well.
There’s only one guitar track playing at the time for each of the parts. So you only hear one guitar playing at the time at any one point. The guitar tracks are unprocessed except for a little bit of delay for one of the parts.